Thursday 22 August 2013

Showing Off: Lighting, Application, & Photography

Being fairly new at this whole makeup artistry thing, I am learning a LOT as I go along about things related to makeup that really do help you look your best.  One of the first things I learned obviously was that skin-care is priority #1 if you want your makeup to look flawless; the best makeup is applied on healthy, smooth skin.  Of course no one has perfect skin, but we all do our best.  Another thing that I've noticed, that I started learning the hard way, is that lighting during application is SO important, especially if you want to take pictures of the look when it is finished.

A good rule of thumb is to apply your makeup in the type of lighting it is going to be seen or photographed in.  In my experience so far, the best makeup application comes from the most natural lighting possible.  This type of lighting gives you the best idea of what your makeup is going to look like outside of the house, plus I find that makeup applied in natural light looks 10x better when you step inside.  Natural light shows you your imperfections and true colours, so then when you go into work or a mall or someone's house, it looks fabulous!  I know that not all of us have easy access to natural lighting in our prep areas, but there are actually some great light bulbs and fixtures you can purchase now that mimic the colour and brightness of natural sunlight quite well.  If you really want to get serious, applying your makeup in fluorescent light will show you ALL your imperfections and will highlight any areas that need touch-ups or adjusting after your makeup is complete.  The lighting at Sephora is fluorescent so that we can see all of this when we are helping clients, but many people find it very frustrating.  I am one of those people :p so I prefer to use natural light as that is what most of us are seen in on a regular basis.

Lighting is really important when you're taking photos of your makeup as well.  Your makeup will look the best if you take pictures of it outside or at least somewhere with tons of natural light.  Direct sunlight can make your complexion look warmer, but it can also wash out colours that you have used AND it can be hard to keep your eyes open when it is so bright (since you always want the light in front of you).  It helps to play around quite a bit and figure out which side and what angles work best for you...as Tyra Banks says: FIND YOUR LIGHT!  Indirect natural lighting is best.  I find that overcast days provide the best lighting for photography.  Because I work all day until 5, by the time I get homer and get organized and do a new look, it is dark out :( so I very rarely get to use natural light in my pictures and so sometimes the colours don't show up as well as I would like.  I have recently moved, so I haven't had a chance to purchase natural lighting bulbs, but it is on my to-do list!  This morning I did a fun, but simple look and photographed it in natural and unnatural light to show you lovelies the difference!


This first set was taken just inside my entrance-way.  There is a large window, so there is some natural lighting, but my light bulbs emit a fairly white light.  You can see that my complexion is a little washed out and the colours seem cooler.  The lower lash line colour even looks deep blue when it is actually dark purple!


I took these outside in direct sunlight (I know I said that is a no-no, but I was in a rush and I actually like the colour it made my iris!).  You can see how it warms my complexion and really shows off the sheen of the eyeshadows I used, and you can see the glitter on the lower lash line better too.  Plus it makes the highlighting I did more visible as well.  You can see how I was squinting a bit though haha

The 2 sets of pictures almost look like completely different looks and it's all because of lighting!  Yes I did use the same camera for both, but I was only using the camera on my phone.  The quality of the pictures is usually better when you use the back camera and not the front one, but it can be hard to get the right angles when you can't see what you are taking a picture of.  One day soon I want to get a fancy camera that will allow me to take great quality pictures while I can see the screen.  ANYWAYS, this post was mostly to show you guys that I'm learning as I go too, and to give you some tips and trick on application and photography!  Much love!

Make-Up, not War,

Rain xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment