Tuesday 20 August 2013

My Favourite Products

Having developed my makeup routine over years and years (since I was probably 15), I have come to absolutely LOVE and swear by certain products.  Of course my application and daily routine are not perfect and will continue to change through the rest of my life, but what I have learned and tried so far has lead me to the products I use today.  Every face is different, however, so please take these recommendations with a grain of salt and be prepared to have some trial and error in finding your perfect products.  I am going to include some of my favourite and "go-to" skincare products as well because beautiful skin starts with skin care, not makeup.  Instead of trying to cover up all the problems, most of us should be focusing on treating them, though there are great makeup products for covering up ;)

Just so everyone knows, I have fairly normal to oily skin, but am prone to hormonal break outs.  My skin care routine is pretty basic, but I do whatever I can to make sure it is always clean and moisturized (ie. NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER sleep in your makeup and moisturize EVERY day) because even the oiliest skin needs moisture.  Giving oily skin the moisture it needs will actually help counteract the overproduction of oil from the skin.  I exfoliate 2-3 times a week and every week or two I treat my skin to a deep cleansing mask.  Hey, it feels good to pamper yourself and, if you're using the right products, the benefits can be great!  For those of you with oily skin, try to only purchase products that are "oil free", unless you're using a face oil obviously, because we don't want to add any more oil to our already shiny skin.  Those of you with dry skin can use oil-based products, but look for more natural oils like grape seed oil, or dimethicone for those with extra dry skin if you're not sensitive to silicone.

OK!  So here are some of my absolute favourite skincare and makeup products!



This here is the Philosophy Purity Cleanser.  The reason I love this is because it is a pH balanced 3-in-1 product.  It has a makeup remover, cleanser, and toner all in one!  It gets off even the toughest makeup and comes in different sizes for those just wanting to try it and the die-hard Philosophy fans out there!  Plus it contains soothing ingredients like chamomile for any lovelies with sensitive skin.

This is one of my favourite drugstore products EVER!  The Aveeno Ultra Calming Makeup Removing Wipes are great for those with sensitive or irritated skin while still getting every single lick of makeup, dirt, and oil off your face.  At around $10 for 30 wipes, I keep these on hand for when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to wash my face, when I have some extra stubborn waterproof makeup, or when I'm on-the-go.  My favourite thing about these wipes is that they don't sting if you get them in your eye! GET IT HERE



This miracle in a bottle is called the Nude ProGenius Treatment Oil.  Working for a cosmetics and beauty comapny gives me the opportunity to try a lot of new products and this is now a forever favourite for me.  It is pricey, but I have noticed SUCH a change in my skin after using it.  Mostly in the texture and tone of my skin; much more even and bright!  I promise that you won't be disappointed if you fork over the $94 for this guy.  A little goes a long way and you can even add a few drops to your favourite moisturizer.  I use it by itself as a moisturizer and LOVE IT! GET IT HERE

Here we have the GlamGlow Supermud Clearing Treatment mask.  This clay-based mask is packed FULL of amazing ingredients to help draw out the impurities in your skin, improve texture, and promote cell turnover.  I LOVED this mask after the first time I used it.  My skin felt much softer after the first use and I noticed fewer breakouts after using this for 2 weeks.  As a "clearing treatment" it is designed to pull out all the impurities in your skin, so you may see a few blemishes after using it, but that's what it is meant to do!  Your skin will be clearer for longer after using this!  Plus, it can be used as a spot treatment for those volcanoes you can feel brewing under your skin, but can't see.



This is a fairly new product for me, but I am obsessed with the Benefit Stay Flawless 15 Hour Primer.  I have tried a ton of primers in my lifetime and none of them keep my foundation from budging on my oily skin like this heavy-lifter does.  It works best with liquid foundations and I wouldn't recommend it for those of you with very dry skin, but it is fabulous nonetheless!  Less is more with this guy as it is a tacky product so it can "hold on" to your foundation. GET IT HERE



For you lovelies who enjoy the look of a good nude lip, I give you the Sephora Collection LipLast Lipstick in Oh, My Beige!  This is the best nude lipstick I've ever used because it is a TRUE nude and it lasts for hours.  It looks best on those with olive skin tones or with a yellow undertone.  Priced at $15, I promise you'll love this one! GET IT HERE


I absolutely love this setting spray.  Because I have oily skin, the Urban Decay Deslick Makeup Setting Spray works perfectly underneath my makeup to control oil and then again over top to set everything.  This line also has sprays called, "Chill," "All-Nighter," and a new Vitamin Refresher Spray as well.  This stuff works great in conjunction with a good primer to keep your makeup from moving and adds some water resistance to all your makeup, including mascara, when used after makeup is complete. GET IT HERE


This AMAZING mascara is my new favourite.  I doubt I will ever go back to another mascara.  The Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Mascara is Dior's newest release for their highly coveted mascara line (came out in March 2013), and I couldn't be happier!  The spoon-shaped brush and curling agent in the mascara couple to give outrageous curl and great volume and length as well.  When paired with the Diorshow Maximizer, your lashes will look plump, long, and curled!  I don't even use an eyelash curler anymore! GET IT HERE

Hope you enjoyed my favourite products!  These are just a few of my bare necessities makeup and skin care products, but there are so many more that I love!  If you have any specific requests for product recommendations, please let me know in the comments or send me a personal message :)

Make-Up, not War,

Rain xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment